Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Going to lay off day hikes for about a month

After talking with my chiropractor, I decided to take off this weekend from hiking.  Next weekend I am planning on going to Bryce Canyon, Zion National Park, and Capitol Reef any way.  After that, I'll be going to South Carolina to see my son, Johnny, graduate from Army Boot Camp at Fort Jackson.  That will basically give me a month off to help my disc to calm down and stop being inflamed.

In the mean time, I'll be researching larger fanny pack options.  Mountain Smith seems to have some options in its Lumbar Series.  I also might need to find some patterns and sew one myself with a lighter stronger material.  If I could have a larger fanny pack in the back with a smaller one (still large) in the front, I might be able to fit everything that I would in a daypack.  The problem will be the fanny packs sliding down.  They have shoulder straps but that might defeat the point unless they only kept the fanny packs from sliding down and would only bear a tiny bit of the weight.  We'll see.

The day hiking idea seemed to work except my back was already bothering me.  I hiked 17.8 miles last weekend.  When I get back in July, I can go to the other end of the segment to hike the remainder of Segment 4.  I'll keep you posted.

By the way, I found a website doing some unique stuff with cuben fiber material. Zpacks.com
I might use that fabric to sew my own lightweight fanny packs when I return.

No comments:

Post a Comment