Friday, June 10, 2011

Two pieces of discouraging news

First was with my chiropractor.  I mentioned that I was feeling some numbness in my big toe again.  He asked me what I was doing new. I told him backpacking.  He suspected the backpacking was aggravating the disc between L5 and L4.  He told me to hike this weekend and see him on Tuesday night.  On the way home, I decided that I didn't want to go back to the back problems I had before the surgery.  I'm going to switch to day hikes.  It will probably be more fun any way.  I can still hike segments of the Colorado Trail. I can just hike halfway and turn back, spend the night at the trail head, go o the other end of the segment, hike to the middle and hike back.  That way, I can leave the tent, sleeping bag, sleeping pad, breakfast, half of my other meals and clothes I might wear to bed in the car.  I think I can reduce my pack weight by at least 5 pounds.  I'll also move more of the weight of my pack to my fanny pack since that will reduce how much is on my back.

Second was I got the test results back from my latest blood test.  On my last physical, my blood sugar tested at 103 (100 is normal).  They had me come back last month and get it tested again.  This time was 105.  That means I need to adopt the South Beach Phase 1 diet, which is basically meats, eggs, non-fat cheeses, vegetables and no more sugar.  I don't want diabetes so I better change my ways quick.

No comments:

Post a Comment