Monday, April 30, 2012

Finished Segment 5 of the Colorado Trail (Part 3)

Other items I carry in my lumbar pack:

  • White Box alcohol stove - only 2.1 oz including the aluminum screen that goes around it and when it gets going, it is HOT.  I just use it to boil water because you can't regulate the heat.  Once you light it, it will burn all the wood alcohol you put in it.  Wood alcohol is great because it doesn't dissolve plastic items if it is spilled on it.  It will evaporate without leaving a smell and I have told it evaporates without leaving the item that was spilled on highly flammable.  I haven't tested that yet.  If I were going to cook food and needed to regulate the heat, I would use my MSR Pocket Rocket, which only weighs 3 oz but the canister weighs more but definitely an excellent alternative.  After this weekend's trip, I think I'm going to do without it, my fuel and the cook pot then see what it is like to camp without cooking.
  • Varga Titanium Stakes - at 0.2 oz each, these are very lightweight.  They don't bend very easily when you are putting them in the ground, but you can lose them very easily in tall grass.  I need to paint mine with some kind of reflective paint.
  • Sunblock and bug protection - I carried them this past weekend but didn't use them.  I didn't apply the sunscreen but I should have as I got a little red.  It was too cold for bugs.  Used sample size.
  • Painter's plastic drop cloth - I picked up a big one at Walmart for less than a dollar and cut into into 4 pieces 6' x 4.5'.  I actually think I had the 4.5' side going length wise because my feet hung off the end.  I didn't bother to turn it the correct direction but should have.  The plastic is NOT thick.  It is one thickness greater than Saran Wrap.  I throw it away after the trip.
  • Bottle for alcohol - I use a thicker juice bottle but I think I won't be taking it on my next trip.  I usually carry 5-6 oz of wood alcohol.  I've been told that wood alcohol isn't corrosive if spilled and it seemed ok the few times I've spilled it.
  • Rx glasses - I carry these so I can see at night but I bent mine up on this trip.  I think I'm only going to take my Rx sunglasses and go without at night.  You might ask why I don't carry clip ons.  They don't seem heavy but the moment my face gets some sweat going, my glasses with clip ons start sliding.  I might look at it again if I'm too blind after dusk.
  • Toilet paper - I think there is more of an exact science but I usually roll up about how much I think I'll need and then weigh it.  If I ever have some problems, I'm sure I'll wish I brought more.
  • Bic lighter - I forgot it in the car even after I stopped to buy a set of 3 mini lighters.  Since I'm not cooking next trip, I should leave it at home since I have waterproof matches but I might bring it anyway.
  • Hand sanitizer - I have a tiny bottle of it.  I always use it after nature calls.  I don't want to contaminate my food.
  • Pack towel - I need to find the brand.  I bought it at REI.  I cut it in half and use half to clean my dishes and the other half to clean my face and hands if they get dirty but VERY lightweight.
  • Camp soap - It is biodegradable and I kept it in a tiny 1/4 oz bottle.  I use it to wash dishes or my hair.  I bought the little bottles from hikelight.com.
  • Driver's license, debit card and health insurance card - I want all of them in case I get hurt or get lost away from my car.
  • Swiss Tech Utili-key - this 1/2 oz multi-tool is very sweet but takes a little practice to use.  It has screw drivers, straight and serrated portions of the small knife.  It does the trick.
  • Light My Fire Original Spork - this has a spoon, fork and serrated edge.  I probably won't carry it if I'm not cooking but the plastic ones are great.
  • ZipLit - I'm rethinking this.  I've been carrying two but I can't see anything with them
  • Princeton Tec Pulsar - I'm rethinking this as well.  It only lights while you are squeezing it.  It is VERY bright but when I want my hands free, I want something that stays on.  I might go back to a very light headlamp.
  • Whistle - I got this super small whistle at Hike Light as well.  I don't see the aluminum one I bought but this one looks just as good.
I'll talk about the clothes I wear tomorrow.  I was disappointed with the O2 Rainpants.  I caught them on a little branch and it ripped a huge hole in them.  Maybe they are too light for backpacking.  They were very light and I didn't seem to sweat under them.  I liked them except the rip.  I'll sew it up and see how they do on another trip.

No comments:

Post a Comment