Sunday, May 27, 2012

Bryce Canyon, UT backpacking 5/26-27



I went to Bryce Canyon the first time two years ago on my way to Jeanice to help her drive to California.  My father had told me that if I was ever in Utah to make sure I went to Bryce Canyon.  It was as amazing as he promised.  I've gone back annually and this was my third trip.  Both previous trips, I didn't make it past the main section where the tour buses go.  This year I got a back country permit to camp down below the rim.  I parked the car at Yovimpa Point.  I hiked a little over a mile to overnight at Yovimpa Pass where I had designated I would camp.  I had to set up camp within 250 feet of the Yovimpa Campsite sign.  Saturday, May 26th was pretty windy on the hike down but somewhere in the middle of the night, everything went quiet.  Not a sound.  I still got up about 5:30am because I wasn't sleeping too well.  The views from below are different than the rim, for sure.


In order to bring more water (which I didn't end up drinking all of it), I brought a bigger backpack and my Mountain Smith Daylight lumbar pack.  I could have fit everything in the backpack but I needed most of the weight on my hips.  My backpack isn't long enough since it is so lightweight, even though it weighs a LOT more than the RikSak.

I hiked 8.8 miles total to get back up to Rainbow Point, around the corner from Yovimpa Point.  Here are some pictures I took from the viewpoints on the drive back.



No comments:

Post a Comment