Monday, May 30, 2011

Colorado Trail Segment 3 - May 28-29, 2011

I had just finished a five mile day hike with running shoes, but I thought I should give the boots another chance.  I should have packed the running shoes.  The 1.6 pounds would have been worth it.


I put on my backpack, probably 27-28 pounds.  I had gone overboard on the food with elaborate meals and lots of snacks.  I put moleskin on my left heel and started hiking.  I hiked about 30 minutes and could feel some pain on my left heel.  The moleskin wasn't big enough so I put a Band-aid Advanced Healing Blister band-aid on the new hot spot.  Within another 30 minutes, the blister band-aid was torn lose with the moleskin.  I put on more special blister band-aids and moleskin.  Needless to say, I developed another blister on my left heel and a new blister on the sole of my right food right by the toes.  I will spare you the details but those blisters were on my mind 75% of the time.  I filled up my Camelbak and had a liter of Gatorade after sterilizing my water with my Steripen.  It kind of felt like the "Emperor's Sterilizer" hoping it was actually killing germs with the blue light.  I got the water at the second stream since I still had some in my Camelbak and it had a better flow of water than the first stream.  It was about 2-3 miles into the trail.  I realized that I would have never found water if I had hiked to the trailhead when I was hiking Segment 2.  Good decision to turn around on my last trip.

I kept hiking, went up a good size hill to over 8000 feet and a decline that lasted about 2 miles.  I passed by Buffalo Creek Campground and Meadow Group Campground on my way down to Buffalo Creek.  I had hiked about 8 miles in 6 hours.  My feet were killing me and now when I try to find a nice place by the creek to have a nice warm dinner, it starts sprinkling.  I decide to walk a little longer and figure it will be a non-cooked meal.  Then it stopped raining and I was still near the creek.  I started cooking and it started sprinkling again.  I used my umbrella (thanks, Ray Jardine for the advice) to cover my stove and myself.  Only spilled a little bit of the ramen on myself.  I had more planned for the meal but decided this was enough.  I had eaten about 1/3 of the food I had planned for the day.  Oops!

I hiked another mile and it started sprinkling some more.  I figured I better stop here.  I threw my gear from inside my backpack under the umbrella so that I could get to my backpack, sleeping bag and sleeping pad.  I set up the Big Agnes Fly Creek UL2 that I had bought for my new summer of backpacking.  It was almost a pound less than my Eureka Zeus 2 and was a double wall.  I don't know if it was worth the investment.  Seemed about the same.  I had some snacks and hung all my smelly food in my bear bag made from my tent bag and a rope.  With the gun club, a few miles away, shooting guns until almost 7pm that night, I doubted there would be any bears around.  I sat on a rock and listened to a bunch of teenagers who had set up camp on the next ridge until it started raining harder.  I was ok with the reality that I hadn't brought my iPad.  I read the pages I had photocopied from the Colorado Trail Guide Book and the maps.  Wonderful book.



It rained for about an hour or two that night but not very hard.  I was on the top of a small ridge so the water ran away from the tent.  It quieted down the teenagers and I was actually able to sleep on this Nemo Astro Insulated sleeping pad.  Another Backpacker magazine editors choice.  Good decision even though it weighs a lot more than a thin closed cell foam pad.

In the morning, I cooked some oatmeal, threw in some of my gorp and had some Starbucks Via coffee.  It was my first time to try it.  I hadn't put in enough dry milk and stevia but it was still great.  The fly (rain cover) was totally wet on top.  I tried to dry it on a big rock near my tent since the sun was shining on it. Didn't work.  Now I remember Ray Jardine saying to have a waterproof bag for your tent because many times you would have to pack it wet while on multi-day trips.  I hadn't remembered.  I turned on my Spot again so that I would have record of the trip on Spot Adventures.  I didn't send an update but I knew the family could track me online.

I hiked the final 3.3 miles, took a while because it was uphill and my blisters were killing me.  I had completed Segment 3 one day before scheduled.  I pretty much knew I would hike all the way back to my car today.  I had a wet tent and sore feet.  I hiked back down to Buffalo Creek, had lunch and sat there with my boots and socks off for about 30-40 minutes.  I used up the last of the moleskin and only had one more band-aid.  I would never look at my feet again and push through 7-8 miles by sheer will and insanity.



I hiked up to mile 6 and then mile 6 to mile 4 (remember I'm walking back) was uphill the entire way.  I wrote somewhere else is was 90-something percent uphill.  It was actually 100% (I don't know why I lied).  I had to find a weird looking tree about 500 feet in front of me and decide to walk to it.  Then I would rest.  Then I'd find another tree with two trunks and walk to it so I could rest some more.  I did this over and over for 2 miles, but it only took me about an hour.  Even with all that resting.  I walked all the way back till about 7:15pm, 15.6 miles that day.  I changed into my running shoes  at the car but I couldn't push in the clutch without intense pain.  I got home and took a long bath, deciding to dry and put away all my stuff today (which I did).

Things I learned on this trip:
  • Boots - the heck with them.  I think I'll take them back to Dick's Sporting Goods Store and get some Gore-Tex running shoes (Backpacker Magazine Editor's Choice, of course)
  • Food - I brought the 'right amount' of food last trip and about 3 times as much as I was supposed to this trip, even finishing a day early.  I found when you are dead tired, you don't want to eat.  Bring LESS FOOD.  Bring more Gatorade (sugar-free this time).
  • Water - Steripen was a success, especially with the anti-bacterial wipes for the lip of the Nalgene.  I might get a collapsable water container instead of a Nalgene, to save weight.
  • Trekking poles - I forgot to mention them.  They salvaged the trip.  They are wonderful.  I bought Black Diamond Distance Z-Poles.  12 oz, and SO amazing!  Worth the weight by saving my knees, helping me keep my balance and even helped me climb.  They even helped me set a pace.
  • Spot Connect is a winner.  The trick is NOT to turn on and off my cell phone.  Leave it in airplane mode and the phone lasted the entire trip.
  • I like hiking even though I can hardly walk when I'm done.  I think running shoes will be the key. That is what I used to backpack in (except for winter camping).  I don't know why I ever tried boots.
  • I like pepperoni and summer sausage, that will be a repeat.
I might take a weekend off and work on accounting for USCS after going to a movie with a friend on Friday night.  Then off to backpack Segment 4 (round trip).  I'll keep everyone posted.

Colorado Trail Segment 3 round trip


Share your Adventures with SpotAdventures

No comments:

Post a Comment