Monday, May 30, 2011

My backpacking gear (base without food, clothes and water)

Weights in ounces:
  • Backpack - GoLite Day Pack (don't remember model) - 16 oz (1 lb)
  • Tent - Big Agnes Fly Creek UL2 (2 man tent but gives me room for my gear inside the tent) - 42.3 oz (2 lb 10.3 oz) (Still thinking about going without the bug mesh and floor when I don't think bugs are around, saves a pound)
  • Sleeping bag - Lafuma Warm n Light 1 Kilo Down (19-degree, seems more like the low 20's; weighed less when I bought it) - 39 oz (2 lbs 7oz)
  • Sleeping pad - Nemo Astro Insulated - 24 oz (1 lb, 8 oz)
  • Garbage bag to line my Backpack - 1 oz
  • Stove - MSR Pocket Rocket - 3.9 oz
  • Canister of butane - 11.65 oz (forgot to put this on original list)
  • Cook pot - Snow Peak Trek Titanium 1 liter without frying pan - 3.6 oz
  • Utensil - Light My Fire Original Spork, - 0.35 oz
  • Bic lighter - 0.75 oz
  • Water Purifier - Steripen Adventurer Opti (uses UV light, I also use antibacterial wipes for rim) - 4 oz
  • Trekking Poles - Black Diamond Distance Z-Poles - 12 oz
  • Compass & whistle - Brunton (don't remember model but got it 10 years ago) - 1 oz 
  • Headlamp - Black Diamond (don't remember model but like an ION) - 1.1 oz
  • GPS - Garmin Etrex (cheap old one with basic functions) - 5 oz
  • Twine for Bear Bag - 2 oz
  • Toilet Paper - 0.75 oz
  • Water containers - (2) Platypus 2 liter with one drink tube kit, Wide Mouth Nalgene collapsable (I don't have to bring all of it on all trips) - 5 oz
  • First Aid Kit - homemade - 4 oz
  • Extra batteries - 2.3 oz
  • Sunblock and bug protection - 4 oz
  • Hand sanitizer - 0.65 oz
  • Personal locator beacon - Spot Connect - 5 oz
  • Maps in Ziploc - 1 oz
  • Bandana - 2 oz
  • Cat hole shovel - EZEE - 2 oz
  • Knife - Gerber Splice - 2 oz (I might replace with Leatherman Micra, scissors are sharper, 2 oz)
  • Toothbrush and toothpaste - 1.55 oz
  • Hipsac/Fanny Pack - 4 oz
  • TOTAL - 201.9 oz (12 lbs 9.8 oz)
I could drop over a pound by replacing my sleeping bag with something like Montbell Super Spiral Down Hugger #3 (1 lb 5 oz).  Drop a pound by not using the bug mesh and floor to my tent.

The Nemo Astro Insulated was the first time I had a sleeping pad that was comfortable enough to actually sleep instead of enduring sleep deprivation while camping so I won't be cutting that.  

I use my tent bag as my bear bag.  I fill my bag that holds my sleeping bag with all my extra socks and clothes as my pillow.

If I add 20 oz of food for each full day I'm gone and average about 2 liters of water at 35.2 oz per liter, that adds 110.4 oz for food and water for a 2 day trip to knock out a segment of the Colorado Trail for a total of 312.3 oz or 19.52 pounds.

I have more weight cutting to do but I'm happy with this for now.  Last updated 6/4/2010

No comments:

Post a Comment