Saturday, April 28, 2012

Finished Segment 5 of the Colorado Trail (3rd Hike)

Here is the path I took:

Eastern Qtr of the Western Half of Segment 5 of Colorado Trail


Share your Adventures with SpotAdventures




This was an interesting trip for a few different reasons:

  • This was my third time to hike Segment 5.  I had hiked the eastern half of it, then came back to hike the western quarter and finally yesterday and today, I knocked out the final quarter.
  • I couldn't drive all the way to the North Fork Trailhead and had to hike almost 4 3/4 hours to get to it because CR-56 was blocked off.  The beginning of April is pretty early to be hiking in Colorado.  I actually didn't see a single person my entire hike except when I was in sight of my car.  A pickup was turning around at the gate where the road was closed.
  • I forgot my trekking poles so I had to use a stick to support one side of my tarp.  I left the other side sagging.
I'm going to talk about my trip from a new perspective of equipment that I bring and why I use it and what happened with it:

ITEMS in my Rik Sak:
  • Western Mountaineering Highlite - It was between this bag and the Jacks R Better Sierra Sniveller.  Jacks R Better can also serve as a jacket.  I just didn't know if the jacket/sleeping bag combination would work for me since I toss and turn a lot switching from side to side.  I'm glad I chose the Highlite, it fits me well but also stuffs into the little space I give it in the Rik Sak.  The zipper works well and it doesn't seem to get wet easily.  The temperatures were in the upper 20's so I did get cold.  About half the water in my 1 liter bottles was frozen so it got cold.
  • ZPacks Hexamid Twin Tarp with Extended Beak and Bugscreen - Joe Valesko did a great job with this tent/tarp.  He has a 6-8 week waiting list and I originally wasn't going to wait that long to get my tent but one came up with a repair in the Bargain Bin that I could get for immediate delivery.  This tarp, which comes pretty close to the ground on 3 sides is only 6oz after I applied the seam sealer.  Current models don't need seam sealing.  About a month ago, I sent the tarp back to Joe to get the bug screen added.  It almost doubled the weight to 11.75 oz.  It didn't take the 6-8 week wait time so I used it this weekend.  I forgot my trekking pole, used a stick that was too short so it was kind of cramped but it was fine on my trip last September.  The bug screen didn't tear (I put my painter's plastic cloth, 85 cent stuff that I cut into 4 pieces, on top of it.  I didn't pitch it in ideal conditions either.  I was kind of on top of marshy soil, which I was ok on top of the painter's plastic cloth.  It had plenty of ventilation.  I look forward to pitching it with two trekking poles.  I can't find another tarp/tent for the weight with bug protection and rain protection.  There are lighter tarps but we get a lot of afternoon rain storms when I'm backpacking in Colorado.
  • Patagonia Polyester Fill Jacket actually didn't fit in the Rik Sak with the larger size of the tarp with the bug screen sewn in.  I wore it the entire time any way but I'll just tie it around my waist with my rain jacket.  When I was at REI last year, I thought I was getting the down pullover jacket but I must have grabbed the polyester one by mistake.  It has worked great.  I tore the sleeve with my trekking pole once and it has worked with the tear.  I do need to get it repaired.  I use it ALL THE TIME during the winter and with backpacking in the summer.
  • Gossamer Gear Nightlight Sleeping Pad - at 3.65 oz, it can't be beat for weight savings.  However, it barely protects you from the ground.  Camping and backpacking has always been an adventure of hiking with sleep deprivation.  I'm praying for 5am or the first glow of sunlight so I can get up.  It was COLD this morning, my hands and feet hurt, so I tried to be hiking by 6am.  I would like to look at a Thermarest NeoAir XLite S.  At 8oz, it will be heavier.  The bigger problem is that it will take more of the room in the Rik Sak, I think.  I need to go to a store and look at it.  I also get the short version and my legs are unprotected.  I put the foot of my sleeping bag in my zipped up rain jacket and I wasn't as cold.  Later in the summer, I put my Patagonia jacket in the rain jacket and put the foot of my sleeping bag on top of the two.  That works but it was too cold last night.
  • Gossamer Gear RikSak - at 2.1 oz, I really like this backpack.  I used it to carry my iPad and other items for short trips when I went to Europe for 3 weeks for work this January.  Because of my back surgery, carrying my gear on my back even with a hip belt (which is actually hard for an ultralight backpacker to have enough gear for the bottom of your pack to reach your hips) just wasn't working.  See previous posts.  I had to move to a lumbar pack but couldn't find one big enough for my sleeping bag, tent and bulkier items.  The RikSak came to my rescue and I only carry about 3 lbs on my back.  Sometimes I'm taking off my jacket and my RikSak is coming with it.  I don't even realize it until I actually see the RikSak and its contents in my hand.
I'll finish with the Lumbar Pack and its items tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment