Thursday, April 26, 2012

All packed up for first trip of the season

I had to revise my gear list.  Some things weighed more than they were advertised.  A couple things dropped in weight as I have used them.  I think I'll finish the rest of Segment 5 of the Colorado Trail.  I have already hiked from eastern end to the center.  Then I hiked from western end back about half way to the center.  So I have about a quarter of Segment 5 remaining.  I'll drive to the center and hike to where I camped last trip.

I'm happy that everything fit.  I had to move the sleeping bag liner (hung it on the belt) and the Rainwear O2 jacket (tie it around my waist) to the Mountainsmith Daylight Lumbar Pack.  The Daylight also weighed 3.6 oz more than I thought I had weighed it last year.  Gaining 3.6 oz from an error was irritating.  The O2 rain jacket and pants weighed more than advertised but then I realized I use the XL size so their average weight probably comes from the medium size.

I couldn't find a Bic lighter that still had fuel or my two 1 liter water bottles so I'll buy those tomorrow.

My food weighed slightly more than 24 oz per day.  I'll see what is left when I get back and then trim for the next trip.  I'm bringing:

  • Ramen noodles
  • Peanuts
  • Jif To Go tub of peanut butter
  • 4 whole wheat tortillas
  • Summer sausage
  • Cheddar cheese
  • Raisins
  • Dried apricots
  • Via coffee from Starbucks (it is amazing how a hot cup of coffee is so wonderful in the morning after a night of minimal sleep)
  • Creamer
  • Oatmeal
  • Splenda packets (6)
  • Beef Jerky
  • Bars:  Oatmeal & Honey; Oatmeal and Peanut Butter
  • Gatorade and other drink mixes
On other trips, I have brought tomato sauce, tuna in foil packet and cream of wheat.  The tomato sauce was too messy for me and I always seem to spill the juice/oil from the tuna packet on my gear, which is begging a bear to come visit me.

Since the ramen noodles, coffee and oatmeal are the only things needing boiling water, I could leave them home and ditch the cook pot, alcohol stove, Spork, wood alcohol and its bottle for a savings of 13.8 oz which is almost another entire pound.  That might be a serious consideration for my next trip but hot coffee, warm oatmeal or warm soup when it is cold makes a huge difference.  The cook pot does take up a lot of room in my lumbar pack.  I'll keep you posted on what I decide.

No comments:

Post a Comment