Saturday, May 5, 2012

Two excellent resources

First, I just became a lifetime member of backpackinglight.com and really like the articles and community posts.  I feel like I finally found "my people", ultralight backpackers who understand my joys, challenges and concerns.  I still have a subscription to Backpacker magazine but I can tell they don't understand me when they are reviewing ultralight backpacks and loading them with 35-45 pounds of gear.

Second, I bought the book "Lightweight Backpacking and Camping", compiled by Ryan Jordan.  I read reviews that it was very cerebral and technical but their discussion of the physics of where the weight should be in your backpack (low) has really helped me in knowing how to protect my lower back.  They also explain the physics behind the need to have the lightest backpack possible and keep it closest to your center of gravity.  Excellent book by people who really understand ultralight backpacking and outdoor adventure in a variety of climates and locations.

No comments:

Post a Comment