Monday, June 11, 2012

Crazy rabbit (and more) on the Colorado Trail (continued)

I scared the rabbit away again.  About 15 minutes later, I'm not kidding, the rabbit jumped onto the corner of the tarp just above my head.  I thought rabbits were these little scared animals who ran from everything.

Finally about 4:30am, since I couldn't sleep, I decided to wake up and eat some breakfast.  I aired out my sleeping bag, brushed my teeth, etc.  Once I packed up everything inside, I got out of my tent a little after 5am.  The sky was just starting to turn blue but it was still pretty dark.  As I was pulling up the tent pegs, I noticed this "large animal" in the meadow about 50 feet away from my tent.  In the twilight, it kind of looked like a cow.  I hadn't seen cow patties on this part of Segment 6 like I had during the first 5 miles but it wasn't completely crazy to see a cow while backpacking.  I packed away my tent, then put on my fanny pack and RikSak.

As I started to exit the meadow, going around the 'cow', I started to realize that this animal was bigger than a cow.  I was thinking, "what is a horse doing here?"  Now that would be unusual!  The weirdest thing, the "large animal" started walking over to me, kind of like a horse might.  But when it got about 15 feet away from me, I noticed that this wasn't a horse, this was a MOOSE!!  In an instant, I remembered that males sometimes charge people.  This one didn't have big antlers, but I didn't have any desire to touch a moose.  I remembered rounding up cattle at my parent's house in Missouri, waving our arms to keep them from coming our way so I started waving my arms with my trekking poles.  It worked and the moose ran back about 35-40 feet.  I quickly moved toward the trail and when I looked back, the moose was still following me.  I swung around and waved my arms.  This time, it stopped and didn't follow after I made it up onto the trail.  I was too startled to take a picture and it probably wouldn't have turned out any way.  I've since looked through pictures of moose and elk to make sure I wasn't mistaken.  It definitely had the weird shaped body of a moose.  Definitely the most exciting backpacking trip I've ever had!

I hiked the remaining 7 to 7 1/2 miles and got to my car by 8:15am.




2 comments:

  1. Wow Jim!! I was on the edge of my seat reading your post. I was afraid you were going to say it was a bear! Exciting stuff :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, I love how it actually unfolded piece by piece in real life. Before I thought cow, I wondered bear but it was clearly eating the grass. I've never seen a moose in person, much less be 15 feet away from it.

    ReplyDelete