Monday, June 11, 2012

Segment 6 Colorado Trail - crazy night

Taking a late lunch break at work.  This past Saturday, I started back on the Colorado Trail.  Segment 6 is 32 miles so I thought I'd hike from Kenosha Pass to Georgia Pass, 12.3 miles.  It was a very gradual climb, probably one of my most enjoyable trips.  I love snow-capped mountains.

Approaching Georgia Pass
I hiked 6 miles in 2 hours with ease and was very surprised.  Hiking 7 miles in Bryce Canyon National Park seemed to take forever.  The altitude was a little lower at Bryce.  I still haven't figured out the difference.
View from Georgia Pass

 I got to Georgia Pass at 11,598 feet by 5:30pm so I took a few pictures and headed back.

The rest of Segment 6 but I'll have to do that another weekend.
About 8:30pm, about 5 miles back down the trail, I found a little meadow to set up my tent.  Within a couple minutes of setting up my tent and escaping within from the mosquitos attacking me, a little animal came up to the corner of the tent.  I scared it away.

Another view from Georgia Pass
After I had gotten into my sleeping bag and was trying to fall asleep (doesn't happen on many trips but worth a try), I heard some rustling.  Since my tent is actually a tarp with a bug screen sewn onto the bottom, I could see the silhouette of a rabbit.  It was eating the grass in front of my tent then it came up to the bug screen, was looking at it then started to take a nibble.  I scared it off again.  It came back 2-3 more times, even getting on its hind legs to reach the front beak of the tarp and start to nibble on that.

Oh, I have a meeting.  Then the rest of the story...

Eastern 12.3 miles of Section 6 of the Colorado Trail


EveryTrail - Find the best Hiking in Colorado

No comments:

Post a Comment